SAFE in Hunterdon Response Team Statistics
- In 2014, the DVRT received 94 domestic violence response calls from police stations. Of these 94 calls, 84 of the victims were female and 8 of the victims were male.
- In 2014, the SART received 16 sexual assault and forensic evidence collection calls. Of these 16 calls, all of the offenders were know to the victim; none were strangers.
New Jersey Domestic Violence Statistics
- In New Jersey, there were 65,060 domestic violence offenses reported by the police in 2012.
- 38 of these calls were murders.
- 27, 602 of these calls were assaults (42%) and 28,285 were harassment offenses (43%).
- In total, 20,477 arrests were made in response to these calls (31%).
- The most frequent days of violence were Sundays as 11,639 calls were placed on Sunday.
- The most frequent hours of domestic violence incidents were between 8:00 p.m. and midnight. 16,868 of the offenses were reported (26%).
- Children were involved or present during 29 percent of all domestic violence offenses occurring in 2012.
- Specifically, 2,298 (4%) were involved and 16,534 (25%) were present.
- Wives were the victims in 10,829 (16%) and ex-wives were the victims in 2,187 (3%) of the reported domestic violence offenses in 2012.
- Overall, females were victims in 48,697 (75%) of all domestic violence offenses.
- 11,494 of the domestic violence complaints had prior court orders issued against the offender.
- Alcohol and/or drugs were involved 17,299 cases (27%).
- 5 % of the victims were over age 60.
- 14% of the victims had a dating relationship with the offender.
- An act of domestic violence occurred every 8 minutes and 6 seconds.
- 17,093 (26%) of all domestic violence complaints resulted in injury.
United States Sexual Assault Statistics
- 1 in 5 women (18.3%) and 1 in 71 men (1.4%) in the United States have been raped at some time in their lives, including completed forced penetration, attempted forced penetration, or alcohol/drug facilitated completed penetration.
- Female victims of rape reported being raped by an intimate partner and 40.8% by an acquaintance; Male victims, more than half (52.4%) reported being raped by an acquaintance and 15.1% by a stranger. 85% of victims were raped by someone known to them.
- 13 % Women and 6% of men have experienced sexual coercion in their lifetime (i.e., unwanted sexual penetration after being pressured in a nonphysical way); and 27.2% of women and 11.7% of men have experienced unwanted sexual contact.
- 79.6% of victims of completed rape experienced their first rape before the age of 25; 42.2% experienced their first completed rape before the age of 18 years and 27.8% of victims of completed rape experienced their first rape when they were 10 years of age or younger.
Stalking Victimization Statistics
- 1 in 6 women (16.2%) and 1 in 19 men (5.2%) in the United States have experienced stalking victimization at some point during their lifetime.
- Two-thirds (66.2%) of female victims of stalking were stalked by a current or former intimate partner; men were primarily stalked by an intimate partner or an acquaintance, 41.4% and 40.0%, respectively
- More than one-third of male victims of stalking indicated that they were stalked before the age of 25; 1 in 5 female victims and 1 in 14 male victims experienced stalking between the ages of 11 and 17.
Violence by an Intimate Partner
- More than 1 in 3 women (35.6%) and more than 1 in 4 men (28.5%) in the United States have experienced rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- Regarding partner violence, more than 1 in 3 women experienced multiple forms of rape, stalking, or physical violence while 92.1% of male victims experienced physical violence alone, and 6.3% of male victims experienced physical violence and stalking.
- In the United States, 9.4% of people have been raped by an intimate partner in her lifetime, and an estimated 16.9% of women and 8.0% of men have experienced sexual violence other than rape by an intimate partner at some point in their lifetime.
- About 1 in 4 women (24.3%) and 1 in 7 men (13.8%) have experienced severe physical violence by an intimate partner (e.g., hit with a fist or something hard, beaten, slammed against something) at some point in their lifetime.
- 10.7% of women have been stalked by an intimate partner.
- 2.1% of men have been stalked by an intimate partner.
- 48.4 % of women experience psychological aggression by an intimate partner.
- 48.8% of men experience psychological aggression by an intimate partner.
- 69% of female victims and 53% of male victims experienced some form of intimate partner violence for the first time before age 25.
Violence Experienced by Race and Ethnicity Statistics
- 22% of blacks, 18.1 % of whites, and 14.6% Hispanic women have experienced rape.
Gender of Perpetrator Statistics
- Across all forms of violence, the majority of both female and male victims reported experiencing violence from one perpetrator.
- The majority of female victims reported that their perpetrators were male.
- Male rape victims and male victims of non-contact unwanted sexual experiences reported predominantly male perpetrators. Nearly half of stalking victimizations against males were also perpetrated by males. Perpetrators of other forms of violence against males were mostly female.
Click here to view outstanding PSA’s from nomore.org.